Man, it can really be a doggie dog (dog eat dog) world out there for someone trying to stay POSITIVE. Some days it’s like trying to ward off those gremlin-looking monsters that shoot at you in video games. But I still believe you do so much better by at least trying, by smiling at evil and maintaining your cool in every situation. It’s so hard, but it’s all about that fighting spirit I’m always talking about.
Here are six self-counseling approaches I take to warding off negativity, especially on the really hectic days. And yes, it includes a lot of talking to myself which I believe, contrary to popular belief, is incredibly helpful in navigating your way through life. It all goes back to that concept of being your own #1 supporter, your own best friend. Try them sometime. I think they can help you too!
- “You are SONIA. This situation does not define you. These people do not define you. You are smart. You are capable, and you can do anything.”
- “You did your best today. Tomorrow is a new day to make it better and shine.”
- “You will never please everyone. Accept it!”
- “I am not better than anyone, but certainly, no one is better than me.”
- “You can’t do it all at once. One thing at a time, you will get there. Be patient with yourself.”
- And finally, after a bad day, I just try to go out and do something that centers me and brings me back to who I am. I do something I’m passionate about or have a lot of fun doing. I reach out for support, and meet up with a friend. I remove myself from the negative situation or thoughts, and get back to my happy place.
So, tell me, what do you do to center yourself after a bad day?